I am excited to announce that the 2018 Congressional Arts Competition is now underway! All entries, with a signed information release form, are due to the designated drop off locations or your high school’s drop off by April 25, 2018 —location's are listed below. Any high school student in the 12th Congressional District is eligible to submit one piece of artwork. Please verify your district at www.house.gov.
Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our Congressional District.
The Artistic Discovery Contest is open to all high school students in the 12th District. The winning artwork of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will include the winning artwork from all participating districts from around the country. The winning artwork is also featured on House.gov's Congressional Art Competition page.
The following is a summary of the Congressional Art Competition rules:
Please be advised that the dimensions for the competition have changed so that artwork MUST BE NO LARGER THAN 26 INCHES BY 26 INCHES BY 4 INCHES. This includes the frame.
- Each entrant may only submit one piece of art that must meet the following criteria:
- Be two dimensional
- Be no larger than 26 inches wide by 26 inches tall by 4 inches thick
- Not weigh more than 15 pounds, including frame
- Be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. Copyright laws.
- Be in original medium (cannot be a scanned reproduction of the painting/drawing)
- Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, markers, etc. (it is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed)
- Collage (must be two dimensional)
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints, etc.
- Mixed Media
- Computer Generated Art
- Be able to be hung for the final exhibition
- Each entry must be accompanied by an Information/Release Form (supplied by the office of Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman).
All entries must be original in concept, design and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted. Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
All entries will be showcased, and a winner announced at the Congressional Arts Competition Awards Ceremony on Friday, May 11, 2018 at the Novo Nordisk Headquarters at 1100 Campus Road Plainsboro, NJ.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the District Office at (609) 883-0026.
Drop off Locations:
Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman's District Office
850 Bear Tavern Road, Suite 201
Ewing, NJ 08528
Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
Arts Council of Princeton
102 Witherspoon St
Princeton, NJ 08542
Monday – Saturday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
West Windsor Arts Council
952 Alexander Road
Princeton Junction, NJ 08550
Monday – Friday: 10:00AM — 6:00PM
Bound Brook Memorial Library
401 East High St
Bound Brook, NJ 08805
Monday – Thursday: 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Friday – Saturday: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM